Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It All Counts

This past Sunday in my message I stated that every relationship we have is the way it is because of the way we are -- no exceptions.  The message was a demanding one, because it takes courage to face the truth that we create, within our own minds, the state of our relationships.

At the end of my talk, I heard someone whisper, "I'm exhauuuuusted."  I wanted to say, "Hey, I understand -- I've been there!"  It is exhausting to be vigilant with our thoughts -- but only for a while.  It becomes second nature quickly, because it bears so much fruit!  It is exhausting to take note of everything we think, say, and do -- but it becomes easier and easier because it delivers our freedom, our "salvation," right into our hands!

So, the good news is, we're 100% responsible for our lives.  The "bad" news is, we're 100% responsible for our lives.  We're responsible not just for what we say out loud, but for what we think, what we project through non-verbal communication, and what we do.

I read a story recently by a woman who stopped to pump gas on a long trip home.  The pump didn't respond to her request to pay inside, with cash.  She pressed the button for assistance, and she could see the two employees inside laughing and talking.  The pump continued to read "please wait" and no assistance came.  Finally, one of the employees stuck her head out and asked if she wanted to pay in cash.  The writer squelched her impulse to snap and said yes, but the pump wouldn't respond.  The employee walked over, pushed a couple of buttons, and smiling, apologized for the problem.  She then wished the customer a great day.

The writer said, "my ego instantly deflated.  I was grateful that I hadn't snapped at her for my assumption that she didn't care about me, her customer.  I made the assumption that I wasn't being valued, and withheld the tithe of my spirit, the tithe of my thoughts.  I had rude thoughts instead.  I recognized the thoughts and chose to make my actions kinder and more compassionate.  Because I valued the clerk with my actions, she in turn valued me with her words and actions."

It all counts.  Our thoughts, our non-verbal communication, our actions, and our words.  They all contribute to the kind of relationships -- the kind of life -- we have.  They all contribute to the way the universe, including other people, responds to us. 

Wonderfully, it all counts -- every time we recognize what we are doing and choose to make our words and actions and thoughts kinder and more compassionate, we move closer to the mountaintop.  Every time we see that the other person is acting out of either lack of knowledge or their own inner pain, we move closer to the mountaintop.  Every time we lovingly redirect ourselves to take the high road and the higher road, we move closer to the mountaintop.

Yes, it all counts -- and that is freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment